Sunday 30 May 2010

Raiatae & Rainbows



A fabulous week exploring Raiatea, an island completely surrounded by the reef. On Saturday we searched out a marina so that we could have Skype phone access to call our very good friend Barry Rimmer, who was celebrating his 65th birthday at SunDance ranch. We were thrilled that Danny was there to represent our family and was able to hand deliver his birthday present – a bottle of whiskey and a pair of Saxx (special underwear that keeps the boys in a room of their own and provides a good laugh).

On Sunday our plan was to attend the later 10:00 a.m. protestant church service, however as soon as we started the long walk to town, we were picked up by a local lady. She took us to her 8:00 a.m.Catholic service, which was a special event since the priest was there for his monthly visit and to celebrate “Pontecote”, (not sure about the spelling, since the whole service was in French) which is a major religious holiday here. The choir was amazing!!! We hiked the 4 miles back to the boat, with a temperature of about 34 degrees Celsius. Prior to heading out of range, we made a few more phone calls –happy Danny rode his bucking bronco for the requisite eight seconds….so much easier than being thrown on his head.

We’ve anchored the last six days in lovely, quiet bays and beside motu’s (islands). It is the longest stretch we’ve been without internet access or ham radio emails. I’m hoping that when we get within range again tomorrow (and I post this) that there isn’t anything that we were needed for.



The weather has been unusually wet and windy. We’ve put up our dodger to block the wind and keep more of the rain out. With the wet weather, we have been getting lots of boat projects done. We’ve also enjoyed some incredible sunsets with the cloud cover, and the first full rainbow arch that I’ve ever seen. On top of that we've had a stunning full moon. I sure love living outside.

The highlight for me this week was a bit of excitement during my daily swim. We anchored in deep indigo coloured water. As soon as I jumped in, I saw a large moray eel moving quickly on the sand bottom. Minutes later I had a large spotted ray swimming below me, almost in sync. I wear my mask and snorkel so that I can see everything below me. Suddenly, the ray dove deep to the bottom and then skyrocketed straight for me. At the last moment, it veered off, as if it was playing a game of chicken. I guess he won that round because I decided to hop back on the boat and wait for shallower waters for my next solo swim.

We’ll sail over to the sister island of Tahaa tomorrow and spend the better part of a week there. We are hoping that the Mantra Rays, which are supposed to be here by now, will arrive by then so we can go diving with them.

Until next Friday (or thereabouts). ….smile often!

No comments:

QuickStar

QuickStar
46 foot Beneteau

The journey begins.....

I update this blog every Friday, so that you can share in our adventure and learn about new places and cultures.

Only the most recent blog shows up on this page. To see former postings, please click on the Archives below.

Thanks for dropping in to visit. Hugs from Diana and Peter.