Friday 10 June 2011

Week Two of independence in Tonga

Okay, so truth be told – Week Two being on QuickStar on my own wasn’t quite as ducky as my first week of independence. Listening to the Canucks get blown out twice for sure wasn’t a highlight, but I remain optimistic that they will bring home the cup! The week started off with a massive storm that kept me on lock down for over two days. It rained to beat the band – I have NEVER seen rain like this before. I had to bail out the dinghy at least 3 times each day (in a torrential downpour), and each time it was almost overflowing. The good news is I got lots of inside projects done and lots of Spanish lessons completed.

QuickStar dinghy almost overflowing



The wind was gusting up to 42 knots, which kept me on alert most of the two nights, to keep an eye on things – after all I have the privilege of being the Captain for a short time. It was very sweet of some of the boaters and Aquarium Cafe here who would check in with me periodically on the radio. One of the boats in the harbor had their dinghy come loose and it took them two days to locate it on the rocks on the other side of the bay. Our friends on Two If By Sea were out at an anchorage and they said it was the worst night they’ve ever spent in 10 years! They also had their two body boards ripped off from their deck – not to be found.
So I was quite proud of myself for managing during these conditions, and when it ended, I had a fabulous SKYPE video call with Danny, Ashley and Addison (I won’t gush on about how adorable, smart and wonderful Addy is). Anyway, Danny who is a chip off his Dad’s block (we actually call them Chip and Block) said “Mom, be sure to ask if you need help”. Cute, isn’t it when your kids worry about you!

Anyway, ironically the next morning my dinghy engine wouldn’t start. I very reluctantly flagged down Stu from Two if By Sea and he had quite a bit of trouble with it. We figured it was waterlogged from the storm, so he told me to wait 10 minutes. We ended up chatting for that long and when he tried it again it worked, so I was back in business. That was short-lived though and when I tried to start it yesterday morning, it again refused to come to life. Stu was out diving and the other fellow from the Aquarium who keeps checking on me was busy in the village getting the pig roasted for the Feast last night…so I was somewhat stranded. I did take the kayak out for a paddle and checked out the docks to see if I could maneuver them, but they are in such bad repair and high up from the waterline that I would have fallen out while trying to get out. I had to pass on the feast – but it turned out okay because the sky opened up and we had a huge thunderstorm and copious amounts of rain.

While I was out kayaking, I took photos of “Vertigo” – a mega-yacht that is anchored in the bay. It is reputedly the largest sailing yacht ever built in the Southern Hemisphere. It is on its maiden voyage, so it is in pristine shape. I took lots of photos for both Peter and Halldo (who I’m sure will Google it just as you did all the mega-yachts in the Galapagos).

Vertigo in all her glory



One of the responsibilities Peter left me with was turning on the water maker once during his absence (we have all the tanks full, so I don’t need to make water, however, the system has to run every 14 days or else you need to pickle it). Anyway, he showed me how to do it and it was so simple I didn’t pay enough attention. I so wanted to do this 3 ½ weeks without having to ask him anything, but I did send an email just to make sure I was doing it okay. I didn’t get an answer as he is in the VanIsle 360 race (which has been VERY exciting to follow each day – in the race there has been a grounding, a collision at the start, a demasting, a protest, two false starts one day, etc. You can follow it on www.vanisle360.com). So, I decided I better give it a try on my own, so I turned on something and it seems to have worked. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I didn’t wreck anything. I did manage to defrost the freezer without any apparent damage – although I’m not quite sure why the pipe is frozen under the sink in the head – maybe I just never noticed it before…let’s hope.

I did get some great news this week…my nephew Allan and his wife Kathy are expecting a sibling for Grayson in December. My brother-in-law Joe got out of the hospital and is back at home and on the mend. And lastly, I got signed with a book distributor for my book. This means that the book will be available not just online (and through me directly) but also in libraries and bookstores. The major book chains will be a tough nut to crack, but one step at a time.

On Saturday, I wandered through the local flea market. It was interesting to see live lobsters hung from the stalls…some of them had to have a pen put in their claws, since they were aggressive with some of the passer-bys (no wonder!)

Live lobster for sale at the flea market



I had a great experience at the local library. On Saturday mornings they have an active reading group for kids to practice their English skills. I was able to volunteer as a reader and I couldn’t believe how enthusiastic the kids were and eager to learn. This was a Saturday after all! Anyway, I’ll be able to do this for the next few weeks and I went on the radio this morning during the morning net to encourage others to come out, so hopefully there will be lots of helpers tomorrow.

Some of the enthusiastic students hamming it up!




The weather is now back to being sunny and clear so hopefully I’ll be able to sleep in the hammock more this week.

QuickStar under a brilliant rainbow with the hammock calling



P.S. I read a great book – perfect for summer reading – Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (winner of the Pulitzer Prize)

Until next week….carpe diem xoxoxo

No comments:

QuickStar

QuickStar
46 foot Beneteau

The journey begins.....

I update this blog every Friday, so that you can share in our adventure and learn about new places and cultures.

Only the most recent blog shows up on this page. To see former postings, please click on the Archives below.

Thanks for dropping in to visit. Hugs from Diana and Peter.