Friday 8 July 2011

We've arrived in Fiji!

Bula from Fiji!

As mentioned in my crossing blog, the last day in Tonga was bittersweet. We really loved it there and with all the time I spent on my own I got to know lots of the people. The final day saying goodbye was really tough. Each time I went to say goodbye, they insisted on giving me a gift. Anja was with me so was able to get pictures – not that I would forget any of them anyway.

My favourite market lady was Mary, who I asked to make me a special salt and pepper holder. The great thing is that she made up a whole bunch and was selling them like hotcakes, especially after I bought a salt and pepper shaker and set it up for her in one of the baskets so that people could see what they were used for. (Yes, I love marketing!)

I’m holding Mary’s newest “hot” item – a salt and pepper basket holder (on the right)


We celebrated Canada’s Day one day early because we knew we would be at sea. Had a lovely Chinese themed dinner at the Aquarium, with our hosts Lori and Mike – who have been fabulous to us and our boat while it moored here over the winter.

Crazy Canucks with Lori and Mike - hosts "extra-ordinaire"


The good thing about the long delay getting checked out from Tonga was that we were able to participate in the weekly race again and even managed to move up a spot.

Just check out that there are some boats behind us!


After the race we celebrated with Mike and Lori again and their gang at the Aquarium Cafe. They even picked up the tab, which was much appreciated, but not necessary.

Peter saying his final farewells at the Aquarium Café.


We are now safe and sound in Fiji after a four-day crossing (you can see the day to day sailing log below). We even managed to fly the gennaker on the first day but then the wind turned against us so we motored and beat in to the weather and the winds for the next three days.

Flying the gennaker



It was wonderful having Anja aboard. She was a great sailor and a good companion. On our final day we enjoyed a celebration dinner while we were waiting to come in to the harbor.

Well-done team!


We motored in to Savu Savu, a northern Fiji island just after sunset.



We had been in touch with Scott on BeachHouse all season and during this crossing. He came out to meet us in his dinghy to guide our way in the dark to the mooring ball. It was wonderful to reconnect with him and meet his crew member Sandrine. We spent a lovely evening with them all the next night on BeachHouse, but I must admit it was hard for me, since my dear friend Cindy (Scott's late wife) is no longer with us. I also picked up a bit of an infection on the crossing, so I had that as a valid excuse to go home early and cherish my “Cindy” memories by myself.

Scott and Peter doing dinghy errands



For the last couple of days we have gotten organized for our Fiji stay and done some boat repairs, maintenance, etc. I'm also recovering well from my infection, so should be back to normal in a day or two.

We are thrilled with the low prices of everything here. For a new battery, it was only $85 Canadian – fuel is 70 cents a litre and food prices are approximately half what they are in Canada.

Today, Anja transferred to Scott’s boat Beachhouse where she will become another crew member. She says that she feels so very lucky to have met us and then connected with Scott, because he has all the scuba gear on board, including a compressor, so she will be able to do lots of diving and will also learn lots regarding sailing a larger boat and maintenance, as her dream is to one day have a boat of her own. I’m sure it will work out really well for everyone. Anja couldn’t stop “thanking me” for letting her catch a ride with us here and then hooking her up with Scott – but I did remind her that she “saved” me when we went scuba diving – so I think I actually got the better end of the deal. We both feel lucky that we have all become friends (and also got to sample her awesome German style pancakes).

Saying goodbye to Anja as she transfers to BeachHouse (with Scott and Sandrine)



We will be with them “buddy boating” for the next 10 days or so, doing lots of diving and exploring the northern anchorages.

Until next Friday…Happy Birthday to my older sister Dorothy. Make it a great day!

No comments:

QuickStar

QuickStar
46 foot Beneteau

The journey begins.....

I update this blog every Friday, so that you can share in our adventure and learn about new places and cultures.

Only the most recent blog shows up on this page. To see former postings, please click on the Archives below.

Thanks for dropping in to visit. Hugs from Diana and Peter.